Acoustics, noise and vibration
Whether you’re looking to limit noise and vibrations or improve building acoustics, the Englobe team has the experience and expertise to meet your needs with innovative, cost-effective solutions.
We’ve specialized in acoustics, noise, and vibration for over 25 years. Our trained experts have experience in a wide variety of industrial, commercial, and institutional settings.
Our specialists are available throughout Quebec as well as in Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, and the Maritimes.
Acoustics optimization through control of reverberation time and intelligibility:
- Measurement of existing room acoustics (reverberation time and intelligibility);
- Modeling with specialized acoustics software to predict reverberation time and intelligibility;
- Development to acoustic treatment plans to achieve targeted reverberation times and intelligibility.
Noise insulation (soundproofing)
Reduction of noise transmission within buildings to ensure confidentiality:
- Measurement of apparent sound transmission class (ASTC), apparent impact insulation class (AIIC), and the confidentiality of conversations;
- Performance modeling of noise insulation (soundproofing) materials for walls to predict their effectiveness;
- Development of wall, window, and floor/ceiling configurations for achieving noise insulation (soundproofing) and confidentiality targets.
Noise and vibration control for building mechanical systems (HVAC, plumbing) we:
- Measurement of noise and vibration from building mechanical systems (HVAC, plumbing);
- Modeling and prediction of mechanical equipment noise using methods recommended by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE);
- Size calculations for silencers, linings, springs, and/or antivibration mountings required to reach your noise targets.
Acoustics compliance for homes near roads and railways:
- Measurement of existing background noise at the site;
- Predictive modeling of road noise over a ten-year period;
- Acoustics compliance assessment and drafting of mitigation measures, as required (composition of building façade, size of noise barriers, etc.).
Worksite noise and vibration management:
- Measurement of residual noise before work starts;
- Modeling and prediction of noise and vibration levels at each stage of the project;
- Development of noise and vibration management plans, including a control plan and noise and vibration monitoring plan;
- Suggestions for mitigation measures, if necessary, to comply with legal or specified noise limits.
Pits and quarries
Noise control for pits and quarries, in accordance with the Regulation respecting pits and quarries (Chapter Q-2, r. 7.1), we:
- Measurement of residual noise in the absence of industrial activity;
- Mapping of noise emitted from the pit or quarry;
- Verification of site regulatory compliance;
- Modeling and prediction of noise levels generated by the pit or quarry;
- Development of mitigation measures, if required (noise barriers, process adjustments, etc).
Highway and railway noise control.
- Measurement of existing background noise levels at the site.
- Creation of a TNM (traffic noise model) to predict noise levels over a ten-year period.
- Acoustic compliance assessment and noise barrier design for residential areas, if required, in accordance with
- Quebec’s road noise policy (Politique sur le bruit routier, ISBN 2-550-32740-3, March 1998.) or any other existing regulation.
Impact studies (authorization certificate applications, etc.) and noise control for various industries:
- Implementation of Note d’instructions 98-01 – Traitement des plaintes sur le bruit et exigences aux entreprises qui le génèrent dated June 5, 2006, for Quebec;
- Implementation of NPC-300: Environmental Noise Guideline – Stationary and Transportation Sources – Approval and Planning for Ontario;
- Measurement of residual noise levels in the absence of industrial activity;
- Measurement of noise levels with industrial activity;
- Verification of site compliance with current regulations;
- Modeling and predicting of noise levels generated by industrial activity;
Development mitigation measures, if required (silencers, machine housings, process modifications, noise barriers).
Health and safety
Noise in the workplace
Industrial noise control and protection of workers’ hearing.
- Workplace noise and exposure mapping.
- Modeling and predicting noise levels from a variety of sources.
- Development of mitigation measures, if necessary, to comply with regulations and protect workers.
Other areas of expertise
Our expertise in acoustics and vibration goes well beyond the areas listed above. Contact us today if you have questions or specific needs.